Saturday, August 11, 2012

Exciting Speech Room Additions

School is upon me. 

My kiddos start back on Monday and what an exciting year it is becoming!  I'll be welcoming a student clinician and new 6th graders.  My new elementary school will also be welcoming me and I am oh-so-excited to FINALLY work with littles again.

This year, I've added a few new "toys" my repertoire of tricks.  I thought very carefully about how I would use them in my therapy and how they can target a variety of goals with multiple age groups.

1. First off, the biggest, brightest shining star: the IPAD!


I thought long and hard about this one, especially when my only school was at the middle level.  I'm banking on the fact that it will be extremely motivating for my older kids.  For my littles, there are SO MANY great apps out there that I'll have to practice great restraint from purchasing too many. 

Obviously, I was also worried about the expense and risk of using it with kids.  Let's just say, it's not going to school until it gets a very strong case!  Any recommendations are welcomed.

2. Next up, Bananagrams


If you've never played Bananagrams before, it's very similar to Scrabble.  I'm thinking this will be a great station or whole group activity for kids to practice vocabulary, sight words, phonemic awareness, articulation, etc.

3. Finally, I decided to go with Operation for a fun, hands-on way of targeting idioms as seen below.  This brilliant idea came from Pinterest (of course!)



No comments:

Post a Comment