Thursday, January 31, 2013

Happy 93

Today is my grandma's 93rd birthday.  93, wow.  What a lifetime.  

I can honestly say I've never met anyone like her.  She is the kindest, most genuine woman you will ever meet.  You would be hard-pressed to find a grandchild that she did not have a hand in raising, after raising 5 children of her own.  She kept my brother and I twice a week from the time I was 2 or 3 until I was close to 13.  

Other than in recent years of declining health, I cannot recall a time when she complained or coveted anything.  I certainly have never heard her say anything bad about anyone.  

She makes the best of all situations and worries about everyone but herself.  Even now while she is on oxygen and frequently in pain, she calls frequently to ask how I'm doing with my ulcer.  She is also fiercely independent, still living in her house alone since 1990 when my grandpa passed.  Ironically she never learned to drive, so up until 5-8 years ago, she walked to Walmart and Schnuck's for everything she needed or took the bus.  

She loves nothing more than to friend a new baby at church and I've never seen a baby or small child that can resist my gran.  I hope that she will be around to meet my children, someday.


Happy birthday Gran! We love you!

2 comments:

  1. So sweet! Happy birthday to your grandma! Grandparents are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna! Grandparents are the best-I don't know what I would do without them!

    ReplyDelete